qemu-arm

Re: [Qemu-arm] Run Kernel+rootfs for ARM Cortex-A72 on QEMU

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] Run Kernel+rootfs for ARM Cortex-A72 on QEMU
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 17:26:15 +0000

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 at 07:30, Станислав Тумасов <address@hidden> wrote:
> Although there is no big difference now. I really want to see the logs.
> If the board is not suitable for the kernel, the logs will not be displayed?

If the kernel is not suitable for the board, then typically the
kernel will just crash very early in bootup, before it has
been able to output logs. (In particular, because the serial
port location depends on the board, the kernel needs to be
able to work with the board to be able to output anything at all.)

This is the same as with real hardware -- if you boot the wrong
kernel or a badly configured kernel or a kernel with the wrong
device tree on a real hardware board, it will generally crash with
no output. The process for debugging this in QEMU is the same as
for real hardware (ie use a known-good config, trial and error,
if all else fails use a debugger to see what's happening).

thanks
-- PMM