Re: [Qemu-block] Disconecting /dev/nbdX leaves stale partitions and devi

From: Nir Soffer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] Disconecting /dev/nbdX leaves stale partitions and device
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 17:48:32 +0300

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 5:41 PM Richard W.M. Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 05:29:56PM +0300, Nir Soffer wrote:
> Do we support specifying an offset in qemu?

Yes.  virt-v2v uses this functionality to access files inside
tarballs (written by Tomas):

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/67c36779c3bd383f8c550d9c43b0884d1a108c4d/v2v/input_ova.ml#L164

Does it work also for running vms?

Example use case:

1. Attach LUN or activate LV
2. wipe start of the block device, or write some header
3. Start guest with the block device with an offset, so guest see the disk starting at offset.

What about patthrough? can we attach a host device to a guest using an offset?

Nir