qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] os x support & panther

From: Satadru Pramanik
Subject: [Qemu-devel] os x support & panther
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:39:42 -0500

First, congratulations on the release of qemu 5.0. The feature set looks really nice.

I know that the issue of OS X support has come up recently on this list, but had a tiny bit to chip in as I hadn't seen much activity regarding it here in the last week.

OS X 10.3 came out this weekend, and Apple's page on OS X 10.3 states:

Panther emulates the System V poll system call on top of BSDís native select API, and the dlopen/dlclose dynamic library access routines “ used with Executable and Linking Format (ELF) binaries on Linux, BSD, and other operating systemsóon top of the native Mach-O format used on Mac OS X. With these routines available on Mac OS X, developers of cross-platform UNIX applications can port libraries and applications to Mac OS X with little or no change to their existing applications.

Does this mean that we should be able to run a linuxppc binary in some sort of chroot on an OS X System without any changes? The whole concept of supporting qemu on OS X is a bit of a sharecropper's dream, but if we can just run the linuxppc binary on an OS X system, that would be sufficient to run things like a linux/i386 version of wine, right?

I likely know nothing about what I am talking about, but seeing some names on this list from the days ( late 90s) when I ran linuxppc makes me very happy, especially with a new powerbook that I am eager to try qemu on...

Satadru