qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [ADD] PPC processor emulation

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [ADD] PPC processor emulation
Date: 18 Nov 2003 13:13:14 +0100

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 12:39, Raymond W. Lucke IV wrote:
> That's really cool that you have the preliminary PPC emulation, and I
> noticed that you have cleaned a few things up. I wonder if your changes
> will make my port to Darwin any easier. ;-)

I'm sorry, but I don't think so.
The biggest problem to make qemu run under Darwin isn't to make it
compile, this is really easy. The problem is to emulate Linux syscalls.
There is a huge work to do there to make it usable. And you have to
consider that you need one syscall remapper for each emulated
architecture (not true, but not so far...). An alternative solution is
_not_ to make the port and say that qemu for Linux PPC will run directly
with Panther, as it includes the Linux emulation from FreeBSD.

You can notice that the syscall emulation is, by now, far from correct,
for PPC target, in qemu... I didn't spent time on this point, because
it's really a big problem and it's not so funny to do...

Regards

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized