qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Segmentation fault with 0.50 and 0.51 and fedora core l

From: Michael Torrie
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Segmentation fault with 0.50 and 0.51 and fedora core ls
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:47:17 -0700

On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 20:26, J. Mayer wrote:
> You're right, this is the right explanation.
> I've already seen this problem, but didn't solve it, with a recent
> Debian using glibc 2.3...
> The glibc 2.3 signal context structure isn't the same that the one used
> in glibc 2.2. This makes qemu think that the emulated program is doing
> invalid access while it should detect some valid write access to code
> pages.
>
> I'm surprised that you were able to compile qemu with this glibc. When I
> tried to use glibc 2.3 on PPC, qemu failed to compile, because the
> structure field names also changed. Are your headers fully synchronised
> with your libc ?

qemu was compiled on my yellowdog ppc box, which doesn't use the nptl
glibc-2.3.3.  I think it's still glibc-2.3.1, without nptl.

> I don't believe it's a thread-scheme problem, because qemu don't use
> threads. Or it may be some other glibc definitions or structure padding
> or alignment which aren't the same than in the regular glibc...

I guess I'll have to try downloading a non-nptl x86 glibc and try that.
But it would be nice to figure out how to get the nptl glibc working
with qemu (even in non-nptl mode, since nptl would depend on the kernel
support).

Since many of the exe's I'd be wanting to run depend on GLIBC_2.3, I
could compile a special version of glibc that doesn't use nptl.  Would
that work?  Or are there still internal changes that would prohibit this
right now?

Michael