qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] How to use disk image from bochs?

From: qemuuser
Subject: [Qemu-devel] How to use disk image from bochs?
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:52:35 -0500

I have a bochs disk image file with win98 [and several other applications]
sucesfully installed. I have been unable to manage to get qemu to boot to
this image file. The image file contains a single fat partition, which can be
mounted under linux with
losetup -o 32256 /dev/loop1 windisk.img ; mount /dev/loop1 /mnt/winimg

However, I find myself unable to get qemu to boot to this image. It always
returns the bios error:
"Disk I/O error"
"Replace the disk, and then press any key"

If a key is pressed, then the program terminates with the error:
"BIOS panic at rombios.c, line 1558" on the terminal.

I also tried copying the image with 'dd bs=512 skip=63', but it didn't
help. I also tried using the -hdachs option with 2031,16,63 [the geometry
bochs reports for the disk], but that didn't help either... although in
that case, if you pressed a key after the bios boot error, the message would
just repeat instead of qemu terminating with the bios panic message.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and for your attention.