qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to send Ctrl+Alt+F1 to guest OS?

From: Thomas Glanzmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to send Ctrl+Alt+F1 to guest OS?
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 16:13:38 +0100

Hi Josh,

> 2) In Bochs if you press a modifier key (Ctrl, Alt, or Shift) while the mouse
> is over the emulator window (not captured), then move the mouse off the
> window, and then release the key, it stays pressed for the guest OS.  So, you
> press Ctrl+Alt over the emulator, move the mouse off and release, then move
> back over and hit F1.  This takes some getting used to (especially when you
> do it accidentally and can't figure out why all your keystrokes have a Ctrl
> character with them), but once used to it, it is easy to use.

this is a bug! We had the same thing on FAUmachine and I fixed it a
while ago. The problem is that an application has to release all keys
(internally) if focus is lost. Btw. Quake has the same problem, which is
very annoying. :-)))

> 3) Use some special Ctrl+a codes in the xterm that launched Qemu
> Another possible method, which Bochs uses, is you press Ctrl+Alt while the
> mouse is over the emulator (for example Ctrl+a Ctrl+F1 could send a
> Ctrl+Alt+F1, Ctrl+a F7 could send an Alt+F7 ...) This would maybe be easiest
> to implement (since Ctrl+a Ctrl+a already sends a Ctrl+a), but maybe the
> hardest to learn to use.

hrm. I am still for 1! :-)) I sweared to myself that I implement the
first thing in FAUmachine, but I never took the time to do it.

        Thomas