qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Darwin/Mac OS X Port

From: Satadru Pramanik
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Darwin/Mac OS X Port
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:14:31 -0500

As a non-developer, I have no rights to argue what is and is not useful, and I do love the direction that qemu is headed.

However, in perhaps a small part a rebuttal of these previous comments, I WOULD like to see qemu on darwin have the ability to run linux/ppc programs. (in user mode as well).

I think for one it would greatly increase the usability of linuxppc programs for mac users, if linuxppc programs could be distributed with a small qemu wrapper for use on OS X systems.

Satadru

On Feb 25, 2004, at 7:12 PM, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:
Hi all!
I finally made the dyngen tool mach-o compatible.
> [...]

Thank you for the work ! I looked briefly at the patch and here are a few remarks:

- Some parts of dyngen need to be merged between the elf and macho target, in particular all the C code generation stuff. As there will be a Windows target too, it would be good to avoid duplicating too much code.

- Do not try to make the linux emulator work (no need to patch syscall.c) as it is not very useful on MacOS and complicated.

- Do not try to make the signal handler stuff work as it is not needed for the soft mmu system emulator (but it will be needed if you want a user mode emulator for the darwine project).

Fabrice.