qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Sucessfully installed Windows XP in qemu.

From: Renzo Davoli
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Sucessfully installed Windows XP in qemu.
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 08:29:09 +0200

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 12:51:12AM +1000, Nathan Hand wrote:
> I find it interesting that Safe Mode works but Safe Mode With Networking
> generates the error message. That suggests that the Windows XP is indeed
> using the NE2000 card for activation and there is some limitation of the
> NE2000 emulation that is tripping XP up. But it's something that affects
> some people and not others. That's why I thought a poll might help; find
> out if there's a common thread through the "failures". Perhaps something
> simple like it always fails on PPC (ie, an endian issue).
>
> The MAC address doesn't change between QEMU instances, unless overridden
> on the command line, so a changing MAC isn't the cause.
>
> I just tried setting nb_nics=0 and still get the 0x800703e6. I'll try to
> reinstall with no NIC and see if that makes a difference.
>
> I'll also try installing on an x86 host and see if that fixes it.
I have tried both ppc and i386 with the same results. It is not a matter
of endianess.
I have also tried to install the ne2k driver into XP (while in safe mode)
but I cannot already neither boot in normal mode nor in safe mode+networking.

I have a "build 2600" MSDN volume license, maybe there is a difference
between builds or between licenses: sw with license to be activated behaves
differently from volume licenses (no need for activation).

renzo