qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] CDROM /Network with Win98

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] CDROM /Network with Win98
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 18:57:07 -0400

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 12:32:53AM +0200, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> >Hi,
> >

> >>Setup : Debian unstable + QEMU 0.5.2-4 as packaged in Debian ...
> >

> >At the moment I would recommend to use the CVS version. 0.5.2 is already
> >obsolete..
>
> I tried that. Same result by different ways : the 2nd stage detection of
> Plugn'Pray harware seems to pass OK, but the emulated system freezes (no
> more mouse moves) during detection of non-PnP hardware. You have to
> "reboot" (stop the emulator and restart it), and end up with a system
> without CDRom or NNIC. The same thing happens when trying to add them with
> the damn "New Hardware Assistant" of the Cotnrol Panel. ...

You can't. In Win98SE, non-PnP hardware detection will consistently cause a
lock up. I had to say "No, I'll select the hardware from a list" option
to install the ne2000 and the svga drivers. For the cdrom, I used config.sys
and autoexec.bat to load the DOS driver, and that works.

> [ ... ]
>
> >>PS : Any idea on how to install Win2K ? I have a non-bootable CD,
> >>which can be either used from Win98 or with 4 diskettes to boot.
> >>Both methods work on real hardware, but I can't use either of them
> >>with QEMU. Ideas ?

You're lucky. I have a pre-installed win2k on a hard disk, but I have no
CD for it. I made a disk image, and qemu fails reliably with a disk read error.
Using the raw hard disk itself (via device file) fails as well, even when using
a fake geometry (as suggested by bochs, btw the disk image actually works for
bochs). I can copy the files from the disk image to a freshly made one, and that
works, but it won't boot because I haven't figured out how to write the boot
sector out yet.

> >You can convert those 4 floppies to images, and then use the monitor
> >prompt to swtich between the floppy images I guess. Never tried it
> >though...
>
> I have been able to use an image of the first floppy to boot, but I'm at
> loss about how to switch between images during the process. How do you do
> that ?

This only works for qemu-0.5.3 and above. In the qemu monitor window,
type "change fda imageX" where imageX is the filename of the floppy
you want to change to. Use "eject imageX" when you are done (I'm not
sure if this is stricly necessary but it doesn't hurt).

For qemu-0.5.2, you'll have to use this old trick (from bochs):

You have 4 floppy images:

fd1
fd2
fd3
fd4

type this:

cp fd1 qfloppy

run qemu as such:

qemu -fda qfloppy [rest of qemu parameters here]

when you are done with the first floppy, change via:

cp fd2 qfloppy

continue for each floppy until you are done. I haven't tried this so you might
have mixed results, but in theory it should work... if it doesn't, then upgrade.
:)