qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] GNU/Linux RTAI/ADEOS working on Qemu

From: Panagiotis Issaris
Subject: [Qemu-devel] GNU/Linux RTAI/ADEOS working on Qemu
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:44:19 +0200

Hi,

Yesterday I somehow accidently surfed to the Qemu homepage and based on
the screenshots -and enthousiasm about ffmpeg/libavcodec- I decided to give it a try.

I started with the provided diskimages of FreeDOS, GNU/Linux and NetBSD
and was immediatly impressed by the performance of Qemu. My previous
experience with Bochs was rather good, except for its rather extreme slowness. Furthermore, as I am interested in using such an emulator for testing experimental RTAI code, I was disappointed to discover that RTAI/LXRT did not work at all in Bochs.

You can't imagine my great joy when successfully running the RTAI/LXRT testsuite in Qemu! The tests worked and furthermore, the current tests of our TAO/RTAI port worked as well
on Qemu as on a real PC (except timing ofcourse).

After that, I decided to give RTAI's experimental tree a try, which I didn't dare do before, because of potential crashes and damage to my filesystems. And yes, the RTAI 3.1 CVS testsuite worked
flawlessy on a 2.6.4 Linux kernel.

In my enthousiasm, I tried some other operating systems afterwards such as the QNX demodisk which ran fine except for the networkcard detection. ReactOS and MenuetOS worked, but the rendering of the graphics was really slow (as I read before on the mailinglist), which strongly contrasted with Qemu's non-graphical performance.

I did notice something that appears to be a bug, as initially the RTAI testsuite ran perfectly, I left it running for about an hour after which it started using all CPU and the guest OS totally blocked.

So, in conclusion, I am very enthousiastic about and impressed by this project and will start try using it for debugging RTAI kernel/userspace applications. I haven't tried Qemu's debugging interfaces yet.

With friendly regards,
Takis