qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] WinXP status

From: Grzegorz Kulewski
Subject: [Qemu-devel] WinXP status
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 19:45:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I can install WinXP without any problems. It is normal WinXP without any
service packs under academic licence. It automagically selected higher
resolution without any external drivers (although it does not recognize
the type of graphic card).

But I formated my partition (one drive, one partition about 2.5GB, dd
image) to ntfs (quick format). So I cannot copy network and graphic
drivers to it from linux. So I created second 50MB image, attached to hdb
and formated under windows to fat. Then I mounted it under linux and
copied three small files on it. I "booted" into WinXP back and the
second drive was gone. I checked in device manager and there was some
error that this device is already present in system. So I deleted it and
rebooted. I made few more tests and the second image can be seen in My
Computer only if it is attached to hdd. But even if it is, WinXP can
detect that it is nearly free fat partition but can not see any files
or directories on it.

Did I do something wrong? Or is the qemu disk emulation broken? And what
with qemu dma support for disks (disk seem to work in pio mode)?

Thanks in advance,

Grzegorz Kulewski