qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Solaris 9 x86 installation?

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Solaris 9 x86 installation?
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 17:35:38 +0200

   From: Fabrice Bellard <address@hidden>
   Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 16:28:02 +0200

   > I spoke too fast: in fact it is an error in the int 13 for
   > CDROMs. I updated the Bochs BIOS included in the CVS. I also added
   > a 'bios.diff' file so that the patches can be applied back in the Bochs
   > BIOS project.
   >
   > Now the Solaris x86 install goes further...

Thanks!

But only a little bit further. The situation is the same for Solaris 9 x86
and Solaris 10 x86, so I'll describe it together:

QEMU (current CVS):

/tmp/QEMU/bin/qemu -boot d -cdrom Solaris-10-x86/sol-10-install-b54-x86.iso
-hda hda.img -m 256 -fda floppy.img

Solaris now boots, but when you press F2 to continue (with full device
scan), it will end up with

Scanning: Windows Sound System Compatible

thus you have to reboot and do Specific Scan (F3) instead. Disable all
devices except sound related (ie. Windows Sound System Compatible and ADS
Sound Blaster) and continue.

Then you mark CD as boot device and continue.

http://tmp.janik.cz/QEMU/Solaris-10-x86-boot.png

But this is everything. Installation process stops here. For both 9 and 10.

In one of several tries, Solaris installation program also printed No RTC
date!? to the screen:

http://tmp.janik.cz/QEMU/Solaris-10-x86-no-RTC-date.png

--
Pavel Janík

I was going to compile a list of innovations that could be attributed to
Microsoft. Once I realized that Ctrl-Alt-Del was handled in the BIOS,
I found that there aren't any.
                  -- Richard B. Johnson in linux-kernel