qemu-devel

Re: Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VGA BIOS source code

From: Hetz Ben Hamo
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VGA BIOS source code
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:51:12 +0300

Actually, I wonder how happy Cirrus Logic will be if people use their
reference manuals to implement a GD54xx emulation. Clearly, each manual
states right at the beginning that you are not allowed to use it as a
basis for manufacturing or selling anything, unless you have written
permission from them. QEMU is not being sold by anybody AFAIK, but the
question whether writing an emulator is manufacturing an item (a
software item) still remains.

Cirrus Logic has ditched the graphics market long time ago (after ATI has signed big contracts with Intel, HP and Compaq for using ATI chips on those vendors's motherboards) and they're now on the business of Linux/embedded and Windows/Embedded.

See: http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/

I hardly think that emulating a 5+ years chip would make them angry. After all, it's a free publicity for them (and zero work, all drivers are already outside)..

Thanks,
Hetz