qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Qemu-devel Digest, Vol 15, Issue 37 2. - User mode no l

From: Wim Vanderbauwhede
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Qemu-devel Digest, Vol 15, Issue 37 2. - User mode no longer a priority
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 06:45:08 -0000

> Note that user-mode QEMU is no longer my priority, so I won't support it
> directly.
Please let met get this clear: does this mean that people who want to use qemu
to run individual apps (like most of us on PPC) rather than boot a full system
are on their own now?
Will support for user-mode qemu continue or will qemu eventually become a
full-system emulator only?
I think user-mode operation is just the greatest feature of qemu! (And I don't
have the disk space left for a full system install)

> Some motivated people could set up a minimal set of libraries
> and programs (wine, etc...) and an installer so that anyone interested
> can install user QEMU easily.
It's not that easy. What works one one distro, segfaults on another.
I think we should really understand _why_ it segfaults.
Therefor let me rephrase a previous question: Should qemu and the x86
binaries/libraries it runs in user mode be compiled with the same version of
gcc? Or is this irrelevant?

Cheers,

Wim

--
If it's pointless, what's the point?
If there is a point to it, what's the point?