qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone have functioning networking with a FreeBSD host?

From: Bartosz Fabianowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone have functioning networking with a FreeBSD host?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 15:05:25 +0200

I am using "normal" networking (that is, not slirp) with FreeBSD as host. My guest operating systems are various versions of Windows and none of them have any problems with networking whatsoever. Here's my configuration. Maybe it can help you to fix your installation:

* I compile QEMU from CVS with the patches from the port. Apart from a --prefix, I pass no special arguments to configure.

* In my /etc/rc.conf, I have set FreeBSD to work as a gateway by setting gateway_enable="YES".

* My guest uses the IP 192.168.1.7 on the emulated network card, the tap device on the host has IP 192.168.1.1. The only problem here is that I have been too lazy to write a network script so it's just a no-op and I always run "ifconfig tapX inet 192.168.1.1" manually whenever QEMU starts and allocates a new tap device (why is it by the way that QEMU always opens a new tap device?).

With those few steps, it all works very nicely. I should note, however, that to go on the Internet with the guest operating system, its IP must be NAT-ed somewhere on the way, which is handled by another FreeBSD box in my case.

- Bartosz