qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Fedora Core 2 very slow

From: ben
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Fedora Core 2 very slow
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:27:12 +0200

Hi,

My host is a windows XP host (mingw) not a Linux host.
My guest is a Fedora guest
Fedora Core 2 includes a 2.6.5 kernel . I just tried to install newer kernel (through rpm install) and to modify clock kernel parameter with grub :
kernel /vmli... clock=pit

Next try :
I'm installing a real linux partition on my hd to try with a Linux host. (I wonder if it's a windows host problem). PS1 : How can i determine what s going wrong with the clock (debug mode for qemu ?). What information could be usefull to debug the problem ?

PS2: Aux développeurs de qemu : Joli Travail

Fabrice Bellard a écrit :

Sorry for this dumb question, but are you using a 2.6 host kernel or did you do the 'echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq' which is written when you launch QEMU ? Otherwise, you have no change of using a 2.6 based guest OS...

Fabrice.

ben wrote:

After install fediora is still slow :
Only some functions like sleep take 10x the real time.
tried to boot with different clocks
clock=pit
clock=hpet
acpi=off
tried to boot with different kernels :
- 2.6.5.1.358
- 2.6.6.1.435
- 2.6.7.1.437

Is the problem Windows host specific ?

Host : Win XP
Guest : Fedora core 2
qemu 0.5.6

ben a écrit :

On windows while booting i ve got a message "TSC cannot be used as a timesource"
and then computer is very slow.
It seems that there s a problem with clock timing in fedora and others kernel.
I managed to make it faster with this boot option at the prompt
   linux clock=hpet
(found with google)
I m searching for the most appropriate setinng for clock.

Host : Win XP
qemu 0.5.6

Jean-Michel POURE a écrit :

I tried it as well, and IMHO, to say that it is very slow is a very
delicate understatement. I've tried giving it more RAM, but it is
nonetheless unbelievably slow.

Dear friends,

For debugging purpose, I uploaded an 833 Mb image of Fedora Core-2 to:
http://www.poure.com/qemu/fedora-c2.img.tar.bz2

Installing a Fedora Core 2 distro can take up to 10 hours (also very slow!).Downloading will save you a lot of time. After unpacking, you can boot the image with the following parameters:

qemu -hda fedora-c2.img -boot c -m 128 -pci -cirrusvga -user-net

The upload is intended for people willing to understand the bugs #9373 and #9374 entered on http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=qemu

Also I contacted Stefano to participate in the OS Zoo project. We are going to work in team to provide ready-to-run images for a wide variety of OSes.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel Pouré