qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-fast

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-fast
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:50:10 -0400

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 07:34:38PM -0500, Joe Menola wrote:
> I just installed Qemu last night. After reading the user doc and some recent
> mailing list postings I've managed to create a raw drive image, 2 of them
> actually... one to install win98 in and one to hold my win95 cd files for
> proof of upgrade eligibility.
> I booted from a win98 start disk and I'll be damned if 98 isn't installing as
> I type. This is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY cool. :)
> Kinda slow though, which leads to my question... the user doc states that a
> patch is available for 2.6 kernels for enabling qemu-fast support. The doc
> states that it can be found "in the QEMU source archive".
> What I can't seem to locate is, the QEMU source archive. Any one have a link
> or sense of direction?
>
> Thanks in advance, and thanks for such a nifty application.
>
> -jm

Those patches only work when using linux 2.6 kernel as a guest OS. It won't help
you run Windows 98 with qemu-fast. (On the plus side you can run qemu-fast w/o
needing to recompile your host OS kernel :)

That said, *I think* you can get those patches here, but am not sure if these
are the right ones:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2003-12/msg00020.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2004-01/msg00014.html