qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win98: how to exchange data with Linux
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:26:11 -0400

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 07:22:45PM +0200, Filip Navara wrote:
> Adrian Smarzewski wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >It's a windows nt driver for ext2 partitions. maybe we could
> >change it so instead of writting files on real drive it will
> >pass commands to qemu? file system is not so important, but
> >this driver is lgpl'ed.
>
> At first guys, you confuse file system drivers and storage drivers. The
> file system drivers have de facto no knowledge on which disk are the
> data located, (on Windows) they recieve an object and send Read/Write
> requests to it (well, basicly, in reality there's also the cache manager
> between them). At second, the idea can't work, even if you would have a
> storage driver that uses some backdoor I/O port to access host disk, the
> host OS can't access the same partition at the same time due to things
> like caching (on both sides (guest/host)).
>
> - Filip

Technically speaking, one could write a file system driver that talks to qemu
instead of going through a storage driver. (I didn't say it would be easy, just
barely possible.) Qemu could then translate attempts (to write a file on Windows
using this driver would cause qemu to write the file on linux's fs natively for
example). It is more work than its worth, but it is possible.

A modified user-net which emulated SMB protocol to the guest but did the i/o
natively on the host would do the same thing and be easier to implement.

Setting up tuntap or VDE is easiest of all. :)