qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] new block layer

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: [Qemu-devel] new block layer
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 23:41:46 +0200

Hi,

I commited the new disk image layer of QEMU which adds the following features:

- new disk image formats are easier to support

- new 'qcow' image format which supports:
* empty sector compression even if the filesystem does not support holes (useful for Windows users) * zlib based compression to directly use compressed disk images (note: the written sectors are not compressed again, you must use qemu-img to compress a disk image).
    * AES based encryption

- native VMware 3 and 4 read-only disk image support (untested - I need such images to test it).

- new 'all-in-one' tool 'qemu-img' to create, convert, compress and encrypt disk images with all the supported formats.

Note: the qcow disk image format may change without notice until the next release.

Fabrice.