qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking on Win2K host

From: Renzo Davoli
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking on Win2K host
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:38:33 +0200

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:54:09AM -0500, Mike Tremoulet wrote:
> Qemu itself seems to run quite well and quite fast.  The only hurdle I
> have left is networking.  I have three interfaces on my Win2K host -
> an integrated Ethernet NIC, a wireless NIC, and OpenVPN 2.0beta2
> TAP-Win32 (installed in the process of trying everything).  When I
> boot in Qemu, I get an IP address of 10.*.*.* assigned.  This
> corresponds to nothing on my network.  I can resolve domain names, but
> I cannot apparently send or receive traffic. If I execute "ping
> google.com", the ping command comes back with an IP address for
> google.com but no packets received.

The IP address 10.0.2.15 is the default address for the slirp (user-net)
support integrated inside qemu.
slirp does not need any configuration nor external tools.
It does *not* forward ping (ICMP) packets but it works with TCP
connections as it were a NAT (masquerading) router.

So if the guest os gets the address, it is able to resolve names, it is able
to ping 10.0.2.2 (the default route) everything should be okay.
If it resolves google.com but you cannot ping it... it is the standard
behavior.

Cross your fingers and Start your browser.

renzo

P.s. I have my experience on qemu for linux, but for user-net netowrking
should behave in the same way.