qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Kernel 2.6.8

From: Barry Michels
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Kernel 2.6.8
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:48:19 -0400

I've held off sending this message to the list (as it is my first one) until I saw someone else have this problem...

I run Fedora Core 2 at work and have been using QEMU for about a month now. When I upgraded to 2.6.8, suddenly none of my VMs would start. Is anyone else haveing this problem? If not, what did you change to get them running? Until it's working, I'm booting into 2.6.7-1.494.

I absolutely love QEMU. I was saving up to get VMWare, but when I got QEMU running, I scratched it off my list of software to buy. It does what I need. Right now, I'm heavily into web development (PHP,MySQL,JavaScript,XHTML) here at work and need to test webpages in IE. As I hate running Windows, it's great to run it in an emulator for testing. When I finish the 4 current projects, I'll be getting into embedded programming again and will probably need an emulated serial port that connects to a real serial port. Is that in the works or already working?

(after following the 'development schedule' thread...) I don't find QEMU the least bit difficult to figure out (except networking, but that will change in time). The command line options are just fine. When I get the command line for a given VM the way I want it, I just recall the command line and add "echo " ... " >> StartVM" to the beginning and end and make my own launcher. So far, I have virtual machines for 98, 2000, XP and a playground for Damn Small Linux hacking. A 'todo' list for development and features would be nice, but isn't required IMO. If I get some time, I'd like to look at the code and see what I can contribute. I've never helped with an open source project before...

One question I have: is there something in the works similar to VMWare's virtual network? Or, does it already exist and just require configuration on the host? I'd love to setup virtual machines running Win2k3 and play with site-to-site VPN's. That's what we run at both our branch offices and I'd rather not test on the real servers.

Barry Michels
Advanced Systems

Host System Specs:
Biostar M7NCG Pro MB (with dual head nvidia on-board)
AMD 3200+ (running at 2800+) :(
1.5GB Dual Channel DDR-333
Dual 19" monitors on ATI Radeon 9200 Pro (on-board video makes the system crash)
120GB WD 7200rpm HDD
16x DVD-ROM / 48x CD-RW combo drive
MMC/SD/CF/SM media reader (no floppy) :)