qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:07:26 -0400

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 01:28:35AM +0200, Lionel Ulmer wrote:
> > So? Fabrice has said that he'll add support got the Win32 GUI directly if
> > some
> > one sends a patch for it ... surely this makes it hard to port to the Linux
> > platform???
>
> My only problem with that is that I do not wish to see the QEMU code go down
> the #ifdef / #endif hell (with #ifdef X11 / COCOA / WIN32 / .... sprinkled
> anywhere over the code).
>
> So such patches are great .... if they are based on a framework that make
> adding new display / input / sound drivers painless (i.e. without touching a
> single line of code in QEMU's main code).

The ironic thing is that the original X11 driver did this seamlessly.
You just removed the original sdl.c and renamed the X11 file to sdl.c and
recompiled. Not as good as an actual framework tho.

I guess we could split the sdl.c file into grap.c and sdl-driver.c, where
grap.c provides all the functions that qemu calls (such as sdl_update_caption
or toggle_full_screen), and grap.c simply calls a function in sdl-driver.c
... then to add X11 support, one simply has to send a patch to add the
appropriate #ifdefs to grap.c and write an x11-driver.c