qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] SAMBA support in QEMU

From: Laurent Amon
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] SAMBA support in QEMU
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 21:46:29 +0200

On 6 sept. 04, at 01:24, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

Hi,

I just commited a simple solution to enable direct access to host files from Windows guests with user mode networking and with almost no set up. It is currently very experimental but it works, at least for Windows 98 with the Samba server from Red Hat 9. Any suggestion is welcome.

Fabrice,

Even without your latest patch, I have been able to mount SAMBA shares from the host to the guest with user-net. The only thing I had missed is that in order to have it work without a DNS on the network, I needed to create a LMHOSTS file. Thanks for the tip. However, I have had to patch slirp.c in order to continue when there is no network (patch included)

Host : Mac OSX 10.3.5
Guest : W98
SAMBA : The server included in 10.3.5
LMHOSTS : "SMBSERVER       10.0.2.2"
Mount shares as E: -> \\SBMSERVER\HOMES (if you have created a user as needed)
                                F: -> \\SMBSERVER\SHARED

I guess that that way, I might even be able to use SAMBA to print. I have Internet connectivity and SMB access to host. I'm happy.

Since I generated the patch the wrong way, you need to patch -R.
You also need the patch posted by Mark Jonckheere on Aug 31st (Message-Id: <address@hidden>).

Lga.