qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] use hd...

From: Marcello 'R.D.O.' Magnifico
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] use hd...
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:23:40 -0000

> i would like to use my /dev/hda6 hd unit.....

/dev/hda6 is a partition, not a real hard disk (just to begin, it lacks a
partition table) and I believe it can't be booted directly as you tried. I
remember within Bochs a kludge lets you specify the device as it was a huge
floppy, I personally did that a couple of times, but Qemu is more a real PC.
If you still want to go on that way and you already installed an OS onto that
partition, you should use /dev/hda (mostly by specifying the geometry
manually) and let your bootmenu do the work of letting you choose the
operating system, assuming you installed that way (no, not the one you're
running-- this will result in severe filesystem corruption!!). If you meant
you wanted to use a partition as a reserved space outside the host OS
filesystem, I believe you should re-partiton it (yes, with a partition table
of its own) within Qemu (again, possibly specifying the geometry you prefer
for it) in order to get anything running within it. Assume as certain that the
OS will complain a lot about hardware changes between the two configurations,
the real machine and the emulator.

    yo,
    RDO

--
"Choose no life. Choose no career. Choose no family."
    (Adminspotting)