qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu dd sizes

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu dd sizes
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:28:14 +0100

On Saturday 25 September 2004 14:08, jmf wrote:
> It's UFS, FreeBSD. I think UFS does a good job keeping all the data in a
> non-sparse manner.
>

> I could resize the UFS partition down to a smaller size and then use dd,
> however, I want a faster operation that will not alter my original
> installation. I was hoping there is a way to manipulate the images that dd
> produces, for more convenient use with qemu.

On linux you can mount images using the loopback device. You may need to tell
it to skip the partition table (the first track, usually 32256 bytes).

I usually find it easier and more reliable to format/partition the image
inside the guest, then mount it via loopback device on the host and use
normal tools (cp, tar, etc) to copy the files across.

Paul