qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu dd sizes

From: Mark A. Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu dd sizes
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:17:22 +0100

> If the size of the
> original disk is 20 gb but there is only 2 gb of data on the disk, how can
> I make the image size smaller?

If you're trying to save space, I'd advise you to check the output of ls -ls.
The -s flag also prints out the actual space taken on disk, as well as the
nominal length of the file usually output by -l.

Most filesystems will represent zero-filled areas of a file with a small
constant amount of on-disk space.  If you're only using 2GB then the actual
on disk size might only be just over 2GB.  As you add more data, the on disk
size will grow to fit.

It's worth checking this before you bother resizing!

Cheers,
Mark