qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] new feature: attach a process to emulated serial port

From: Derek Fawcus
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] new feature: attach a process to emulated serial port
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:47:22 +0100

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 12:22:37PM -0300, André Braga wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:26:30 +0100, Derek Fawcus <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hmm.  How about simply using FIFO's instead,  then one doesn't have any
> > issues with fork/system/etc
> >
> > i.e. add options of -serialin <path> -serialout <path> and have -serial
> > <path>
> > set both of the above.  Then one can simply do:
> >
> > mkfifo /tmp/serin /tmp/serout
> > anycmd < /tmp/serout > /tmp/serin &
> > qemu ... -serialin /tmp/serin -serialout /tmp/serialout
>
> That would make this feature available only on operating systems that
> support user-created named pipes.

Yeah - but they're the only interesting ones :-)  Hmm is it so easy
to connect process with a bi-dir like pipe on Windows (NT) machines?

> IOW, named pipes do exist on Windows, but they're not easy to access by the
> user.

Hmm - SFU?  The recent versions (w2k/xp only) are supposed to be very unix
like,  but even the earlier version would probably support fifo's well enougth.

Mind - connecting the GUI on the earlier versions would be difficult.

> Forking is a more universal approach, as I see it.

Modulo the above proviso?  Is there the ability to create "proper" pipes between
processes on NT from native win32 code?

DF