qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] env in TLS

From: André Braga
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] env in TLS
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:33:50 -0300

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:41:37 +0200, Fabrice Bellard <address@hidden> wrote:
> Using TLS seems a good idea. I hesitated to implement it because I was
> not sure that segment overrides were as fast as an indexed memory access
> on all x86 processors. I think that imposing a gcc version >= 3.2 is no
> longer an issue. We must be sure that the other platforms support the
> __thread keyword though.

I urge you not to tie QEMU even deeper on a specific compiler. I know
the techniques used on the emulator make it indeed quite tied to gcc,
however if there's any hope to support other compilers (for example
Intel's on x86 and IBM's on Linux and Mac OS X), then we should at
least try to support a broad selection of gcc compilers, from 2.95.3
on. This would buy us at least some degree of compatibility between
gcc versions, which should ease the path of making QEMU compatible
with more optimized compilers or even compilers to platforms which
still don't sport a GCC version.

Cheers,
A.

--
"A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God"
Alan J. Perlis