qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Mac OS X host issues with i386 guest

From: David E . Still
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Mac OS X host issues with i386 guest
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:12:40 -0800

I saw that Fabrice committed a whole bunch of patches to QEMU CVS over the past couple of days, so I thought I'd try them out. Alas, there is still no joy in Mudville for OS X users of QEMU (at least this user).

Build Issues:
I'm still having basic build issues. Specifically, the requirement of #include <sys/types.h> in exec.c before #include <sys/mman.h> for compile and LIBS+=-lmx to Makefile.target in order for qemu-system-sparc to build. See some of my previous posts on these issues.

Runtime Issues:
Once I get a compile (easy enough to do; 2 lines to 2 files gets the job done), I'm still having runtime issues with i386 guest. Specifically, every host that I've run (Win98, Mandrake 10.0, linux-test) displays garbage (see attached image). I think that it *may* actually be emulating the rest of the system correctly, but something is wrong with the display. I started having this issue on or around Oct. 11 with CVS HEAD builds. One question I would have is whether other Mac OS X users are experiencing this issue, or is it just me?

On the plus side, PPC emulation seems to run like a charm! No display issues what-so-ever. I don't have any Sparc images to test with, so I can't comment on Sparc system emulation.

Thanks!
- Dave

JPEG image

--