qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-img documentation

From: ML
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-img documentation
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:09:49 +0100

---
Panagiotis Issaris said the following on 11/16/2004 04:42 PM:

I've used "fdisk c.img" and used the reported values as parameters
for hdachs. This together with specifying the bios translating mode
enabled me to boot old qemu images again.

So, I used:
"fdisk c.img"

Used the p command to print the partition table, which also
shows the necessary disk information:
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4161cylinders

And started qemu:
"qemu -hda c.img -hdachs 4161,16,63,none"

Worked for me, but I don't know if fdisk is always
right.

On my newer XP disk images, fdisk seems to report correctly the number of heads and sectors but fails to get the number of cylinders and complains with a "you must set cylinders" message.
On my older images, it doesn't seem to be able to guess anything.
Hdparm -g exits with a "Value too large for defined data type" message in both cases.

Ciao,
Piero