[Qemu-devel] Re: Windows98 under SUSE 9.2: Only 640*480 in 16 colors (SO

From: CP
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Windows98 under SUSE 9.2: Only 640*480 in 16 colors (SOLVED)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:53:02 +0000 (UTC)

Info <info <at> geodb.org> writes:

> There is a VESA graphic driver for Windows. Unfortunatly,
> MS doesn't support this standard by default. Do a google,

Hi all,

The VESA graphic driver can be installed following the instructions in:

Once SDD is installed, launch it, and select "properties" > "windows display
driver", click on the displayed driver name (something like "Cirrus Logic
CL5446") and choose the SciTech Nucleus driver on the list. Save the changes and
reset/restart qemu. Once the system is running with the Nucleus (generic
VESA2.0) driver, all sorts of hi-res modes are available. I'm running
1024x768x16bpp and it works OK.

By the way, I had the exact same problem Jesus Cea was talking about (any
resolution not 640x480x4bpp would bring the system down), so maybe is a bug in
the Spanish Win98SE CD. It doesn't seem to be SUSE-specific (I'm running Fedora
Core 2 here). I think adding a note pointing to the bochs webpage to the docs
would be very helpful, I have spent the better part of a day figuring this
out... and I haven't found any other VESA graphic driver.

Cheers - CP