qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Running Plan9

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Running Plan9
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:18:27 +0100

It should work now!

Fabrice.

Brian Campbell wrote:
Being a little curious about Bell Lab's Plan 9 I tried to get the
installation/demo CD running under qemu.  The major stumbling block I
encountered was that the IDE emulation wasn't properly detected.  A
little bit of debugging revealed that Plan 9 was relying on an
an IDE feature that hasn't been implemented in qemu.

Adding some very shoddy (and almost certainly wrong) support for
WIN_DIAGNOSE to ide_ioport_write in hw/ide.c was enough to get it to boot
and run the live version.  Is anyone likely to provide a proper
implementation?  I'd do it myself, but the (draft) ATA specs I had a look
through appeared to have some oddities I'd rather not have to deal with,
given that I've never done any ATA work before.