qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] get_func() hangs with gcc 3.4.2 on MinGW and WinXP host

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] get_func() hangs with gcc 3.4.2 on MinGW and WinXP host
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:52:01 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Jim C. Brown wrote:

> This is due to a change in the way gcc compiles code ... 3.4.0 may work,
> but later versions will cause functions to return prematurely (due to the way
> qemu handles translated blocks). I suggested that a fix for this would be to
> use function pointer calls instead of directly chaining machine code, but
> apparently this is too slow to make qemu usable.

The Forth way ;-)

No, really. It does not make QEmu too slow to be usable, but it takes
very, very much from the performance improvements QEmu has in comparison
to bochs. Just try the interpreter patch, which is very good to have a
regression test, but otherwise is just slow as compared to FAST!

Ciao,
Dscho