qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Removing GCC dependency

From: Paul Brook
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Removing GCC dependency
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:23:11 +0000

> I always thought the current 'dyngen' solution as a temporary one
> because it enabled a fast developpement of QEMU as the expense of
> performance (this is relative of course, QEMU is already quite fast and
> usable). But if we want better performances and better... portability
> (in the sense that we are not tied to a specific GCC version), then a
> hand coded code generator is the only way to go.

Do we also want to aim towards using the same code generator for all guest
cpus? We currently have separate op.c for each emulated architecture.

Combining these into a single set of opcodes seems like a good idea.  Once we
start doing hand coded generator and/or nontrivial optimisations on the
generated opcodes the duplications is really going to hurt, and the bar for
adding new architectures will be significantly higher.

I realise there complications with this (different register files and MMU
types), but I can see large benefits if these can be overcome.

Paul