qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac keyboard not supported

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac keyboard not supported
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:55:10 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Laurent Amon wrote:

> On 28 déc. 04, at 02:16, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> >
> > If there is a need for a special mac keymap, then there is something
> > completely rotten.
> >
> > As far as people told me, there were only problems with Escape, Apple,
> > and keys outside of ASCII (code>127). The first two problems are fixed
> > (hopefully) by the attached patch. The other keys are more of a
> > problem: I believe that this is a bug in SDL: AFAIK in
> > src/video/maccommon/SDL_macevents.c, at the end of Mac_InitOSKeymap(),
> > the if after the comment about non-ASCII, should be replaced by the
> > command in the else branch: "MAC_keymap[i] = value;", i.e. not treat
> > the non-ASCII case specially.
> >

> I also have a problem with some ascii keys. At least on the french
> keyboard, most upper row numbers don't work.

What are the messages for 1..0?

> I hacked a workable keyboard (or rather enhanced on a hack Johannes
> Fortmann wrote) in july (posted to the list on july 17th and 21st) but
> I'd rather build on the current system.

You should, as the only way to support different keyboard layouts for
other platforms than a PC would be to duplicate the work.

> I guess that the mac keycodes are different from te PC ones and need an
> extra translation. SDL is not perfect in that respect, though I haven't
> tries 1.2.8 release.

That aspect didn't change AFAIK. Anyway, the keycodes may differ, but
*not* the keysyms. The whole purpose of keysyms *is* that they are
platform-independent. If they are not correct on the Mac, then SDL has to
be fixed.

Ciao,
Dscho