qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mounting qemu virtual disk images from host linux os

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mounting qemu virtual disk images from host linux os
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:26:15 -0500

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 03:31:22AM +0000, Mark Williamson wrote:
> I've not used lomount before so maybe you can pass flags to lomount directly.
> I can tell you how to do it using losetup / mount separately:
>
> You can use losetup to bind a partition of the disk file to a /dev/loop device
> and then mount that.  Use the -o option to specify the offset into the file
> where the partition is to be found.  Use the -s option to specify the size of
> the partition.
>
> You can probably fdisk the file (or, if that doesn't work, a loop device bound
> to the whole file) to figure out where the partition boundaries are.
>
> HTH,
> Mark

lomount does all of this internally. You can't pass it an offset into the file,
only which partition you wish to mount. It calculates the offset by looking it
up in the partition table.

I'm wondering if he is trying to mount a COW image or some
fancy-but-qemu-supported
disk image. lomount has only been tested with raw images and sparse images, and
is unlikely to work w/ anything else.