qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac keyboard not supported

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac keyboard not supported
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:08:02 +0100

For the problem of the Mac keyboard, I think SDL should be fixed first to return correct SDL keysyms.

An interesting patch was submitted some time ago to use the scan codes directly, as we do on PCs (scan codes do not depend on the keyboard key mapping). If it is reported to work on most Macs, it should be the default because it avoids the problem of translating keysyms to scan codes.

Fabrice.

Laurent Amon wrote:
Hi,

Selon Johannes Schindelin <address@hidden>:

I don't think the SDL guys are slow. And it is no major rework. It is one
file, one function, and if I'm correct, just deletion of 3 lines -- and it
should be a lot easier than replicating a whole keymap.

If you can point me to the 3 lines, I'll try to compile SDL and see if it works
better. I hope I'll have a moment to look at it in the next few days. Not my
priority, though.

For normal users, there is no need to differentiate between left and right
modifier keys. Also, it is not important to have exactly the same mapping
as on PC, but only that if you hit a key (e.g. '/') that the guest
actually understands the same key ('/'). No more, no less.

I don't agree with you. When you type '/', the guest OS needs to to know the
keycode corresponding to the '/' on the keyboard you emulate as well as the
modifier key mask necessary to generate it. I believe windows works on that
level, does it not? I don't think that you can simply pass the character.
As to differenciating between left/right keys, it would be handy in order to
emulate a Alt-Graph key (which is needed since qemu now grabs ctrl-alt), and
the "contextual menu" key too. Not to mention playing pinball.

[...] And yes, unless the good SDL people
decide to release (after a patch was sent to them), you'd have to
distribute a patched SDL (which would of course, being patcheed, break all
apps using SDL -- NOT!).

As you point out, it would probably not break anything. It is just extra
logistics.

Bye,

Lga.