qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Qemu-devel Digest, Vol 22, Issue 46

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Qemu-devel Digest, Vol 22, Issue 46
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:23:33 +0000

On Friday 21 January 2005 20:53, Julian Chesterfield wrote:
> >It shouldn't make a different if the host OS
> >uses it
> >or not.
>
> Excuse my ignorance but is this because there is no
> potential for parallelising tasks in qemu to take advantage of idle
> CPU cycles?

In theory you could put CPU and system emulation in separate threads. In
practice I suspect the synchronisation overhead outweighs the (small) benefit
that hyperthreading gives you. I'm not even sure it's give any significant
benefit on real SMP systems.

Simulating multiple cpu SMP guest system on a SMP host cpus would be
interesting, but that's a whole new thing.

Paul