qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OT: Running qemu without host os?

From: Peter Karlsson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OT: Running qemu without host os?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:46:31 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Jim C. Brown wrote:

> That would be interesting. Qemu can't do that yet (it shares hardware via
> the help of the host OS, of course, but not direct access).
>
> If you had qemu running multiple OSes, and all of them could access the same
> hardware "virtually directly", that would be simply amazing. Not quite sure
> how one could go about doing this though..

It would be like "streaming" or "multitasking" the guest OSes, at least
that's what I'm thinking. How one would go about to actually do it without
hardware support is another matter. But would it really be that different
from what qemu are doing now? However, having qemu start first (with the
help from linuxbios) and then launch guest OSes would be a lot easier I
suspect (from a theoretical standpoint), unless the host os is aware of
sharing the resources. And what I originally thought of was having qemu as
a part of the bios, in control of the hardware.

>From what I've been told, qemu is a target in linuxbios V2.

See:
http://www.clustermatic.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2005-January/010680.html
http://www.clustermatic.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2004-June/008423.html

> No, it currently only works with PCI. ISA, AGP, USB, and traditional hardware
> can't be accessed directly yet (tho it is theoreticly possible).

I thought AGP was a PCI bus.

Best regards

Peter K

--