qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] linux host, win xp guest, more than 1GB memory

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] linux host, win xp guest, more than 1GB memory
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:52:03 +0100

james taylor wrote:
I've successfully got xp running as guest os using qemu-snapshot-2005-02-05_23. I've patched the code with patches published in this list to enable dma, windows
says that my disk is dma enabled.

I would like to specify 2GB ram for the virtual windows machine memory, but
qemu wouldn't let me specify -m 2048 - the command just printed help.
So currently running with 1GB (ie -m 1024) successfully.

Does anyone have a patch or a tip that will enable me to set up 2GB ram on
the virtual machine?

(I'm running on a 4GB physical ram box)

Host is kernel 2.4.27.

It should be possible to increase the limit - it was set arbitrarily knowing that the process address space mapping limited the maximum size of mappings. With some small hacks it could be possible to reach about 2.5 GB of emulated RAM with a standard host Linux kernel.

The architectural limit of simulated RAM in QEMU is of 4 GB, even with a 64 bit CPU.

Fabrice.