qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: PPC fixes for qemu/OpenHackWare

From: Thayne Harbaugh
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: PPC fixes for qemu/OpenHackWare
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:25:43 -0700

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 23:11 +0100, J. Mayer wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 20:45, Thayne Harbaugh wrote:
> > These fixes greatly improve qemu booting on PPC - many Linux
> > distributions with kernel 2.4 now work.  It's two big patches (one for
> > qemu, one for OpenHackWare) - let me know if someone prefers them broken
> > out into smaller pieces.
> >
> > There's still some work to be done to get PREP in good shape as well as
> > a Linux 2.6 kernel to work well - expect some more patches in the near
> > future.
>
> Hi.
> Thanks for the work. I need to take a close look of your patches because
> I completely restructured OHW. For example, HFS code is quite different
> in my working repository (but still have problems on some fs)...
>
> I have a few remarks about the patches:
> * in Qemu:
> pci_enabled option should not be used for PPC emulation: we don't
> emulate MCA, so PCI is mandatory for PREP and the Mac target is Mac99
> which also always have PCI.
> The rest of the patch seems OK, imho.

Okay.  I'm shooting in the dark, somewhat.  I don't really have any
PREP/CHRP hardware - I'm just going off of some random lspci outputs I
have found with Google.  I do know, however, that the PREP PCI host
bridge is incorrect in Pearpc, Qemu and OpenHackWare.

Does anyone have a Linux 2.6 /sys tree for PREP and CHRP?  That would be
most useful for getting all the ISA, PCI and other devices correct.

> I can't compare OHW for now, as it seems that most of the patch is
> cosmetic (blanks, tabs) and as most files have changed. Could you please
> regenerate the patch using:
> --ignore-all-space --ignore-blank-lines --ignore-space-change --minimal
> -p
> options to make it easier to read ?

I'm a bit confused.  I closely reviewed the patch prior to sending and I
didn't notice any instances of whitespace-only diff.  There are,
however, many lines of spelling changes. :)  controler -> controller,
recurs -> recurse, to -> too, etc..

> I'll send you my current working version of OHW by mail so you can
> compare and see where your patches can still apply easily (while I'll
> try too...).

I'll look for it.