qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Funny Bash Script ...

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Funny Bash Script ...
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:57:37 +0400

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
Hi Folks!

there is a funny bash script available at

  http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Stuff/QEMU/rev_01.sh

using this on object files (like the kqemu-mod-i386.o)
produces interesting output, which will compile nicely
with gcc to something very similar of the original ..

Anyone can disassemble a binary and re-compile it. Understanding exactly how it works is another story entirely. I believe you would be in violation of the license if you distributed the de-compiled source, so what do you gain by doing this?

In addition, we are talking kernel code here. The sort of stuff where random compiler optimisations can cause catastrophic failures. Can you guarantee by doing this you are generating exactly the same code as you started with? I would certainly be loathe to trust the compiled binary.

Brad