qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Donation model for opening the accelerator?

From: John Wells
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Donation model for opening the accelerator?
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:17:23 -0500 (EST)

Guys,

First, let me say THANK YOU to each of you.  After years of VMWare and
Win4Lin, I'm thrilled with Qemu so far....it really brings a whole breath
of fresh air to life on Linux.

I'd really like to see Qemu and the Accelerator stay free...naturally,
open sourcing the accelerator would be ideal.

Have you considered allowing donations for open sourcing the accelerator?
In other words, setting up an account (maybe paypal), announcing the
effort, and then when you receive $X in donations, opening the accelerator
code.  I believe if I recall Blender used this exact same approach.

I think you'd see the community as a whole really jump at the
opportunity...I know I would donate immediately.  That way, you would get
the compensation you so justly deserve, and give something great to the
open source world.

Just a thought.

Thanks again!

John