qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Experiences installing Win98 on WinXP host.

From: jeebs
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Experiences installing Win98 on WinXP host.
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:49:36 -0600

From: "Damien Mascord" <address@hidden>

> Give it a go with
> http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~kazuw/qemu-win/qemu-0.6.1-windows-2.zip and
> see how you fare...

A little better, but only a little.

At the point where Win98 asks me to point it to my old windows files (to verify
for Win98 being an 'upgrade') and I change the cd:

1) Twice the guest appeared to lock up.  I'd switch to the cd drive and the
hour glass would show up, and nothing further would happen.  I couldn't even
move the mouse cursor.

2) Once I was able to actually switch to the new cd iso image.  (Although I
didn't go any further because I did #3 next.)

3) After I managed to switch it to the right ISO image, I decided to try and
switch to another ISO image.  That change failed.  It showed the previous
directory structure on the cd.  When I clicked on an invalid directory, nothing
else happened.  Qemu didn't crash (like before), but nothing happened and I
couldn't get Win98 to quit, so I could point it to the right directory or try
changing the cd again.

4) In one test, when I tried changing the cd, it wouldn't recognise any cd
image I tried.

In the final test, I used my cd image that has Win98 and Win 3 (for upgrade
check) on it.  That way I didn't have to do the cd change.

In that test, it behaved like the ones from FreeOSZoo.  Namely, it blue
screened after the first reboot.

I forgot to check to see if it accepts spaces in the pathnames, but I have no
reason to believe it does.

(And for the record, these are the same images I've used under vmware.  So they
are correct and working.)

> As a last resort, perhaps try to build the latest CVS source using the
> following instructions:

I'd rather not build my own.  I don't have any compilers even installed.  Been
a while since I've done any programming at all and I just don't bother to keep
the stuff around.  So I'd have to download it all first.  Too much trouble when
cvs builds are already built and made available.

If it's a build problem, then those builds need to get fixed.  That'd help
everybody, not just me.

But with two different build sources having the same problems, I doubt it's a
build problem.

I didn't try Win98se or WinME, or even XP.

This version is behaving enough like the ones from FreeOSZoo that I see no
reason to.

It's pretty clear that the Windows builds are significantly broken.  Or else
qemu just flat out doesn't like anything but Linux guests.