qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] KQemu on AMD64 or PPC?

From: Jason Gress
Subject: [Qemu-devel] KQemu on AMD64 or PPC?
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:31:45 -0600

As I have been messing around with KQemu, I have really liked the performance
gain.  I even tried a 2D-only game, and it worked quite well!  The major
performance problem I saw was mostly graphics related from what I can see.
You can see each frame update; I am sure with a faster graphics engine/driver
that mapped to a fast display protocol (OpenGL?) it would be a lot better.
That, or my ATI's 2D performance with SDL is a lot slower than I thought.
Thoughts?  ;)  Sound has also improved a lot, so kudos there as well!

One thing I am wondering is if/when AMD64 or other hosts will get to see these
improvements.  I understand that PPC would of course only KQemu on a PPC
client, but what about AMD64?  Will i386 (or x86_64) clients be able to see
these improvements, or will the kernel module not compile at this time?  I
don't have access to an AMD64 system right now, or I'd give it a shot.  I am
curious, as I have a friend with an AMD64, and I'd like to get one sometime
this year.  Of course, hopefully Fabrice gets a job ;) and we can all play
with a completely open source version of KQemu by then! :)

        Jason