qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] More PPC emulation fixes

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] More PPC emulation fixes
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:51:14 +0100

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 18:52, Thayne Harbaugh wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 12:49 +0100, J. Mayer wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 00:04, J. Mayer wrote:
> > > Here's a new patch that fixes the last (!) bug in PPC fixed point
> > > operations and most FPU bugs.
> >
> > > Apply and enjoy.
> >
> > I realise I missed one "detail":
> > FPU has to be activated in OHW, or it would crash. I'll send a modified
> > version 0.3 tonight. For those who don't want to wait, here's the needed
> > patch.
>
> I've been using the patches for a bit now.  All of my previously
> reported problems are gone.

Great !
I think most of qemu PPC cpu emulation bugs are now fixed.
I still know two problems that seems related to emulation:
- top in Debian Sarge crashes.
- Debian woody installer crashes.

Other problems seem OHW or hardware emulation related. For example ne2k
seems to miss MII related stuff emulation, then most automatic hardware
probes stay stuck while checking the network device.

I played a lot with qemu this week-end, recompiled kernels and qemu in
the emulated machine. Then I was able to run qemu x86 emulation under
qemu-ppc (but that's really slooooow...).
I was also able to launch ppc user emulation but missed memory to launch
ppc system emulation.
I'm also re-compiling MOL to try to launch Mac OS X using it ;-)

I did put some screenshots of Qemu running Debian Sarge for PPC here:
<http://perso.magic.fr/l_indien/qemu-ppc/snapshots/index.html>

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized