qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: qemu ELF Loader Kernel integration

From: mirak
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: qemu ELF Loader Kernel integration
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:09:07 +0200

Valtteri Rahkonen wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, PhilippGühring wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to integrate qemu(-ppc) into the Linux kernel, so that when a program tries to start a Linux-ELF-ppc executable, that qemu is being used to
start it normally?

Yes, see binfmt_misc (kernel support for misc binaries).

It would be useful for embedded systems development for cross-compilation:
The resulting binaries could be tried natively on the development system.
If I would do it manually, I could start
qemu-ppc binary
But in some enviroments, the binary is started automatically by a third-party product, therefore being able to launch the binary directly would be helpful.

If you have a binfmt_misc compiled to your kernel and you have registered qemu as a ppc interpreter then qemu will be started automatically when executing the ppc binaries. You will need to register qemu as your interprer in proc interface (/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register).

Would this work for for exemple the flash player plugin or is it only for executables ? I am interested in doing that the other way around, for i386 code on linux ppc.