qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] gcc4 host support

From: Thomas Steffen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] gcc4 host support
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 20:14:20 +0200

On 5/19/05, Paul Brook <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't think GNU lightning really gains us much. We'd still have to do the
> hard bits (optimization, register allocation, assigning stack slots, etc).
> The actual native code generation (which is what lightning gives you) is only
> a few hundred lines of code.

I have the feeling that will apply to most alternatives. The problem
is to turn the C code into machine code, right? That is a difficult
problem, which is why a C compiler is a complex piece of software.
Using a different tool is not going to turn it into a simple problem.

So I think gcc is still the best bet. If the issue with the return
point is the only problem, there should be several possible solution
(with different performance impact).

Thomas