qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Problems compiling qemu-snapshot

From: bent jakobsen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Problems compiling qemu-snapshot
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 05:14:33 +0200

Hi,

On 6/1/05, Grzegorz Kulewski <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, bent jakobsen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > When I try to compile the lastest qemu-snapshot (2005-05-31_23) I get
> > the following error:
> >
> > gcc -g -Wl,-shared -o qemu-i386 elfload.o main.o syscall.o mmap.o
> > signal.o path.o osdep.o thunk.o vm86.o libqemu.a gdbstub.o -lm
> > /usr/bin/ld: errno: TLS definition in /lib/libc.so.6 section .tbss
> > mismatches non-TLS reference in libqemu.a(helper2.o)
> > /lib/libc.so.6: could not read symbols: Bad value
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >

> > Has anyone seen this before ?  Or am I the only one who has seen this ?
> >
> > I think this started to happen when I updated the Linux kernel (to
> > 2.6.11.11), or perhaps when I updated to glibc version 2.3.5
>
> Probably glibc...
>
> TLS = mechanizm for having some variables per-thread. It requires new gcc,
> binutils and maybe glibc.
>
> errno = global variable (or macro or something - differs from one compiler
> to another...) that was defined in ancient days of early UNIXes ('70
> probably) to hold last error after syscall. But when you have multiple
> threads this variable must be par-thread to actually mean something (if it
> would be global you would never know if it holds last error for your
> thread or some other thread in your app). So newer glibcs set it probably
> as per-thread rather than global.
>
> Are you absolutely sure that you have compatible and well compiled set of
> kernel, kernel headers, gcc, glibc? Because it looks like something could
> be broken here. How did you upgrade your glibc? What is your
> distributions? What are your versions of above core packages?
>

> Grzegorz Kulewski

Hi,

I'm almost sure that I have the latest versions :)  This might also be
the problem :)

What is my distribution: Sorcerer
How did I update: augur easy

For your information:
Sorcerer is an sourcebased distribution like gentoo, it is just more
up to date, in regards to the different applications, and then it is a
lot easier to keep up to date, and to install (in my thoughts - but
one might have a different views upon these points).

But yes of course I can have a broken dependency on my box(es), if so
I'll be glad if anyone could say where it is broken, as qemu-snapshot
is the only application (which I know off) that I can not compile
successfully. But I'll of course keep updateing the box.

Now the versions:

glibc: 2.3.5
gcc:  3.4.4
linux: 2.6.11.11
binutils: 2.16
coreutils: 5.2.1

Did I miss any ? If so I'll gladly provide them

Best regards

Bent Jakobsen